Friday, August 2, 2013

Mint Grasshopper Krispie Treats

I am entering Mint Grasshopper Krispie Treats in the Creative Recipe Contest hosted by Confessions of a Cookbook Queen and Cookies and Cups!

Yay!

 The idea of this contest is to put a twist on a recipe from these AMAZING blogs, Confessions of a Cookbook Queen, and Cookies and Cups. I was SO excited when I found out about this...I looked through tons of recipes on the blogs and had so many ideas, but I decided to narrow it down to Mint Grasshopper Krispie treats.

I was inspired by Cookies and Cups general love for Krispie Treats (she has a whole category for them!!!!!) and my love for everything minty-chocolatey. And, lets face it: Mint Creme Oreos....are. amazing.
Specifically, I was inspired by these Brownie Batter Krispie Treats from her blog!

I decided to adapt them into something cool and minty. One of my favorite flurries to get when I go to our local ice cream shop is called Mint Grasshopper. It has mint ice cream and crushed Oreo pieces. So yummy. Decadent. Delicious. Addicting. I have to admit, though, I thought of adapting them into many other things:
-Snickerdoodle Krispie Treats
-Salted Caramel Nutella Krispie Treats
-Mini Cake Batter Krispie Treat Cakes (add cake batter to krispie treats, use as circle cookie cutter to cut two pieces into the treats, and top them on top of each other, filling the middle of one with frosting. Frost the whole thing like a cake)
-Apple Pie Krispie Treats (If you think about it, that might be a tad disgusting. Soggy apples on krispie treats? No, thanks.)

That's all.

These Krispie Treats are so easy and yummy! Minty and Chocolatey. Half the pan has mysteriously disappeared at my house in the past 6 hours .....



Ingredients: 
5 Cups of rice cereal
3-4 tablespoons of butter or margarine
1 bag of marshmallows 
1/3 tsp mint extract
green food coloring
1 bag of milk chocolate chips
15 Mint Creme Oreos (SO GOOD! I could live off those things!)

Faveee Oreoos 

1. Grease a 9x13 pan with butter or nonstick spray.

2. Melt butter in a large saucepan on low till completely melted.

3. While butter is melting, place Oreos in a large bag and crush with a rolling pin. Pour finely crushed Oreos into a bowl.


4. Add marshmallows  all at once. Coat them in the butter by stirring.

 Stir until almost melted. Once it is almost melted (see picture), immediately add mint extract and a few drops of  food coloring. (If using gel food coloring, add two toothpicks of it) 
-The marshmallows are almost melted when you see just a few chunks of fat marshmallows, but mostly melty, thin marshmallow, like in the picture,

Stir until fully melted. 

5. Add rice cereal, one cup at a time. 

6. Spread into pan using a greased spatula for less stickiness.

7. Once treats are in the pan, melt 1 and 1/2 cups of chocolate chips in the microwave for 1 minute, or until spreadable. Spread a thing layer of the chocolate on to the krispie treats and quickly add the crushed Oreos. 


8. Melt remaining chocolate chips (about 1/2 cup) and drizzle over the Oreos.


9. Refrigerate until chocolate is firm.

ENJOY! I know I did :)





XOXO, Andrea

Note: This recipe for Krispie Treats is adapted from Millville Rice Cereal Boxes.






1 comment: