Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Awesome D.I.Y! : Upgraded TOMS!








I love what they stand for!



Before this D.I.Y, my toms were....well you can look at the picture. I LOVED them when I got them for Christmas in 2011, so therefore I wore them 24/7...even in the rain. Unfortunately, TOMS are made from canvas material, which fades and blotches when wet. I never waterproofed them, so they were pretty much destroyed....


So anyway, I still loved them and couldn't fathom throwing them out! TOMS are adorable! I decided to remodel them after some inspiration on Pinterest.
If you have a pair of TOMS that need a little Sprucin', then watch, and learn, and D.I.Y!
Supplies:
-About 1/4- 1/2 a yard (I used 1/4 a yd of chevron and 1/4 of navy, but I have smaller feet) of any kind of cute fabric that you want your TOMS to be!
-Fabric Scissor
-Ribbon or Wire (I used ribbon)
-Fabric Glue

Directions:
This D.I.Y isn't one that you have to constantly keep looking at to get right. The directions are very simple:
First, you'll want to cut a piece of fabric a little wider and a little longer than it needs to fit the first part of the shoe. I alternated mine with chevron and navy fabric, you can do the whole shoe one pattern/color. Once you've cut a piece, squirt some glue on the part of the shoe you are covering. Excess fabric should hang off, and once the glue is tacky,cut off the excess material very carefully. You'll notice on the 2nd picture on this post that the tip of the shoe is slightly "folded." I was confused at first, but you'll find that it just kind of "happens." It should look and feel king of like wrapping a gift. You should cut and glue a new piece of fabric on each part of the shoe that is divided by thread. (It's hard to explain, but you can see what I mean in the picture above.) 
Next, you'll want to take more fabric and cover the next part, which includes covering the elastic triangle on the shoe. Instead of trying to be exact and and cutting a perfect piece of fabric, I just cut a square to cover the entire area and glued only the parts that I wanted the fabric to cover. That way, when the glue dries a little, it's easy to cut where the you don't want the fabric to be.
So you pretty much do that to the whole shoe. I didn't cut a hole for the TOMS logo on the back, I cut into it after gluing. That works best in my opinion. I let the shoes dry overnight, then added the white ribbon, and let that dry another night. 
Overall, this is a super easy D.I.Y. It may take a wee bit of patience sometimes, but you'll be so glad wants you put these babes on your feet! I LOVE my finished toms!
*If you get any glue stains on your TOMS, simply wet a towel with nail polish remover and scrub on stained spots. This worked for me!*





Thanks for stopping by!

Love 'Yall! -Andrea


No comments:

Post a Comment